Rich chocolate cream
- Dark (semi-sweet) cooking
- chocolate 115 g (4 oz), broken
- into small pieces
- Castor (superﬁne)
- sugar 55 g (2 oz)
- Milk 315 ml (101/2 ﬂ oz / 11/4 cups)
- Egg yolks 4
- Dark rum or
- brandy 3 Tbsp Double (heavy)
- cream 315 ml (101/2 ﬂ oz /
- 11/4 cups)
- Cocoa powder (optional)
- (confectioner’s) sugar (optional)
This mouthwatering chocolate cream can be served with any topping of choice.
- Place chocolate, sugar and milk in a heavy saucepan. Set over low heat and cook, stirring frequently, for 3–5 minutes or until sugar has dissolved and chocolate has melted. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Beat egg yolks in a heatproof (ﬂameproof) mixing bowl. Gradually add milk mixture, beating constantly.
- Set bowl in a pan half-ﬁlled with hot water. Set pan over low heat and cook mixture, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until mixture coats the back of the spoon. This will take some time.
- Remove pan from heat. Lift bowl out of pan. Stir in rum or brandy and set aside to cool completely, stirring occasionally.
- Pour cream into another mixing bowl and beat until stiﬀ peaks form. Fold cream into cooled chocolate custard, blending thoroughly.
- Pour mixture into a chilled glass serving bowl or individual glasses and refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Sprinkle with topping ingredients or decorate as desired before serving.