If you love the combination of eggs and cheese, then this recipe for a Crisp Parmesan Omelette, or as it’s whimsically referred to, a ‘Parmalet,’ is a must-try! The trick here is to caramelize the cheese on the pan first, creating a thin yet protective layer that prevents the eggs from directly touching the pan. As a result, the eggs remain moist and tender, while the cheese turns into a crisp and savory crust. This recipe works with one or three eggs, but a single egg lets you fully appreciate the crispness of the cheese layer. The addition of a pinch of cayenne pepper adds a touch of heat that balances out the rich flavors.
- 2 eggs
- ¼ teaspoon water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 ounce freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, or a little less
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- Start by cracking the eggs into a mixing bowl. Add 1/4 teaspoon of water and whisk together until the eggs are just beaten. Remember not to overmix.
- Drizzle the olive oil into an 8-inch nonstick skillet. Use a brush to evenly spread the oil over the bottom of the pan.
- Evenly grate the cheese into the skillet until it’s approximately 1/2-inch deep (or just shy of 1 ounce).
- Place the pan over medium-high heat. The cheese will slowly start to melt and bubble.
- Once the cheese starts to turn golden brown, about 4 minutes in, pour the eggs evenly over the cheese.
- Reduce the heat to low. Season the eggs with salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. Cover the pan and let the eggs cook on low until they are set. Check on them after the first 30 seconds. For 2 eggs, the total cooking time should be about 1 minute.
- Remove the pan from heat. Use a spatula to carefully fold the ‘Parmalet’ in half, then transfer it to a serving plate. Enjoy the unique combination of creamy eggs and crispy cheese!