Baked chinese cake
- Large eggs 3
- Castor (superﬁne)
- sugar 140 g (5 oz)
- Honey 1 Tbsp
- Ovalette 1 tsp
- Water 3 Tbsp
- Vanilla essence
- (extract) 1 tsp
- Cooking oil 70 ml (21/2 ﬂ oz) Plain (all-purpose)
- ﬂour 160 g (51/2 oz), sifted
- Corn ﬂour
- (cornstarch) 1 Tbsp, sifted Baking powder 1 tsp, sifted
These small cakes are somewhat like the sponge cake, but drier as cooking oil is used in place of butter.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Grease 8 baking cups, each 10 x 5 cm (4 x 2 in), then lightly coat with ﬂour.
- Beat eggs, sugar, honey and ovalette together until mixture is light and ﬂuﬀy.
- Add water, vanilla essence and oil. Mix well.
- Fold in both ﬂours and baking powder, then spoon batter into prepared baking cups.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Turn baking cups over to pop cakes out of cups. Leave to cool slightly before serving.