- coconut 225 g (71/2 oz) Castor (superﬁne)
- sugar 275 g (9 oz)
- Egg whites 5
- Butter for
- greasing Glacé (candied)
- cherries 9, halved
These classic cakes are moist and chewy. Serve with a hot cup of tea. Makes 18
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Mix coconut, sugar and egg whites together in a small saucepan and place over low heat until mixture is warm but not hot. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon.
- Remove pan from heat and leave mixture to cool in pan.
- Grease a baking tray and cover with greaseproof paper.
- Using a tablespoon, spoon 18 mounds of mixture onto greaseproof paper, leaving enough space in between for macaroons to expand during baking. Alternatively, spoon into baking cups.
- Top each macaroon with half a glacé cherry, then bake for 20 minutes or until light golden brown. Remove from oven and leave baking tray to cool on a wire rack.
- If using greaseproof paper, peel it oﬀ baking tray and cut between cooled macaroons. Leave a layer of paper on the base of each macaroon. Store in an airtight container.