Quail eggs with mushrooms
- Dried Chinese
- mushrooms 10, large, soaked to
- Cooking oil 2 tsp
- Salt 1/4 tsp
- Ground white
- pepper 1/4 tsp
- Sugar 1/4 tsp
- Quail eggs 10
- Green peas 10
- Vegetable stock 100 ml (31/2 ﬂ oz)
- Chinese cooking
- wine (hua tiao) 1 tsp, or dry sherry Light soy sauce 1 tsp
- Sesame oil 1/2 tsp Corn ﬂour
- (cornstarch) 1 tsp, mixed with
1 Tbsp water
This dish is simple to do yet very attractive and tasty. Serves 5
- Squeeze out any excess water from mushrooms and trim oﬀ and discard stems.
- Marinate mushrooms with oil, salt, pepper and sugar. Leave for 5 minutes.
- Place mushrooms with the underside facing up on a steaming plate and steam for 10–12 minutes.
- Break a quail egg into each mushroom and top each with a pea. Return to steamer and steam for another 5 minutes or until eggs are cooked.
- Meanwhile combine stock and wine in a small pot and bring to the boil. Season with soy sauce and sesame oil. Lower heat and stir in corn ﬂour mixture to thicken sauce.
- Pour sauce over mushrooms and serve hot.