- Dashi or chicken
- stock 435 ml (141/2 ﬂ oz / 13/4 cups)
- Japanese soy
- sauce 1 tsp
- Mirin 1 tsp
- Salt 1/2 tsp
- Eggs 3, lightly beaten Fresh shiitake
- mushroom 1, cut into 4 slices
- Edamame 4, pods removed
In Japan, chawanmushi is prepared in special chawanmushi cups with lids. If you don’t have these cups, porcelain rice bowls or ramekins will do.
- Mix together dashi or chicken stock, soy sauce, mirin, salt and eggs in a bowl.
- Divide egg mixture equally among 4 cups and drop a slice of mushroom into each.
- Cover cups with lids or aluminium foil, then steam for
- 5 minutes. Do not use too high a heat or eggs will curdle and become tough.
- Reduce heat and leave to steam for another 12–15 minutes or until mixture is set.
- Drop an edamame into each cup as garnish. Serve hot.