Egyptian braised steak
- Cooking oil 3 Tbsp
- Onions 2, large, peeled and chopped
- Stewing steak 900 g (2 lb), cut into
- 5-cm (1-in) cubes
- Potatoes 2, large, peeled and diced
- Eggs 6, shells thoroughly cleaned
- Chickpeas 330 g (12 oz), soaked overnight and drained
- Garlic 1 clove, peeled and crushed
- Ground turmeric 1 tsp Ground cumin 1/2 tsp Salt 11/2 tsp
- Ground black
- pepper 1 tsp
- Beef stock 2 Tbsp, made by dissolving 1 beef stock cube in 2 Tbsp boiling water
Egyptian Braised Steak, with chickpeas and eggs cooked in their shells, makes a rich, satisfying meal. It is left to cook for a long time, and so combines superlative flavour with convenience.
- In a medium-sized pan, heat oil over moderate heat. Add onions and fry for 5–7 minutes or until onions are soft and translucent but not brown.
- Add meat and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until meat is brown.
- Remove pan from heat and transfer onions, meat and oil to a large pot.
- Add all remaining ingredients and pour in enough water to cover them.
- Cover pot and simmer over low heat for 2–3 hours until meat is tender. Serve hot with rice or bread.