- Eggs 6
- Black tea infusion 750 ml (24 ﬂ oz /
- 3 cups)
- Salt 1 tsp
- Light soy sauce 2 Tbsp Star anise 3
- Cinnamon stick 2, each 5-cm (2-in) long
Although they are similar to hard-boiled eggs, Tea Eggs are lightly fragranced with tea, star anise and cinnamon, and feature a lovely marbled pattern.
- Hard-boil eggs, then soak in cold water until cool.
- Tap hard-boiled eggs gently on a work surface or using the back of a spoon to crack shells all over.
- Bring tea infusion to the boil and stir in salt and soy sauce. Add star anise, cinnamon and eggs. Simmer over low heat for 2 hours. Watch that pot does not dry out as it simmers.
- Add more water as necessary.
- Shell eggs. Eggs should have a lovely marbled pattern. Serve hot.