Salted and century eggs porridge
- Pork loin 100 g (31/2 oz)
- Salt 1 Tbsp
- Long-grain rice 90 g (3 oz)
- Water 5 litres (48 ﬂ oz / 6 cups)
- Salted egg 1, cleaned and hard-boiled
- Century egg 1, cleaned Chopped spring
- onion (scallion) 1 Tbsp
- Condiments Light soy sauce Ground white
- Red chilli slices
This porridge is simple but hearty and amazingly tasty, especially with the addition of salted and century eggs.
- Season pork with salt and refrigerate overnight. Rinse pork and pat dry before use.
- In a pot, combine rice, pork and 1 litre water. Bring to the boil for 20 minutes, uncovered.
- Lower heat and remove pork. Mash rice with the back of a ladle until well broken up. This will make the porridge smoother.
- Shred pork and return to pot. Shell salted and century eggs and cut into small pieces. Add to pot.
- Add remaining water to pot and bring to the boil, simmering for another 10–15 minutes or until porridge is smooth.
- Ladle porridge into individual serving bowls. Garnish with chopped spring onions and serve hot. Provide condiments on the side for diners to use as desired.