- Raisins 55 g (2 oz)
- Butter 55 g (2 oz)
- Onions 2, medium, peeled and ﬁnely chopped
- Garlic 1 clove, peeled and crushed
- Green apple 1, small, cored and ﬁnely
- Plain (all-purpose)
- ﬂour 2 Tbsp
- Curry powder 2 tsp
- Milk 250 ml (8 ﬂ oz / 1 cup) Double (heavy)
- cream 4 Tbsp
- Salt 1/2 tsp
- Ground black
- pepper 1/4 tsp Hard-boiled eggs 4, shelled
- Almond slivers 3 Tbsp, toasted
Curried eggs are ideal for an impromptu meal since they are quick and easy to prepare. Serve with plain rice.
- Place raisins in a small bowl and add enough boiling water to just cover. Allow to soak for 10 minutes, then drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a medium-sized saucepan, melt butter over moderate heat. When foam subsides, add onions, garlic and apple. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until onions and apple are soft but not brown.
- Stir in ﬂour and curry powder with a wooden spoon. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in milk. Return pan to heat and cook, stirring, for 3–4 minutes or until sauce has thickened. Stir in cream, salt and pepper.
- Carefully fold eggs into sauce with a metal spoon. Gently simmer for 4–5 minutes or until eggs are thoroughly heated.
- Remove pan from heat and transfer to a serving dish. Sprinkle raisins and almonds on top and serve with rice.