Eggs baked with onions
- Butter 30 g (1 oz) + 1 tsp
- Olive oil 2 Tbsp
- Onions 3, medium-sized, peeled and thinly sliced into rings
- Hard-boiled eggs 6, shelled and sliced Salt 1 tsp
- Cayenne pepper a dash Plain (all-purpose)
- ﬂour 1 Tbsp
- Single (light)
- cream 250 ml (8 ﬂ oz / 1 cup)
- Milk 4 Tbsp
- White wine 4 Tbsp Grated Cheddar
- cheese 3 Tbsp
This is a light and tasty dish that goes well with hot crusty bread and a crisp green salad.
- Lightly grease a shallow heatproof (ﬂameproof) dish using 1 tsp butter.
- In a medium-sized pan, heat oil over moderate heat. Add onion rings and fry for 8–10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove pan from heat and, with a slotted spoon, transfer half the onions to buttered dish.
- Cover with a layer of hard-boiled eggs, then remaining onions. Sprinkle with salt and cayenne pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat grill (broiler) to high.
- In a small saucepan, melt remaining butter over moderate heat. Remove pan from heat and, with a wooden spoon, stir in ﬂour to make a smooth paste. Gradually add cream, milk and wine, stirring constantly.
- Return pan to heat and stir constantly for 2–3 minutes or until sauce is thick and smooth. Add 2 Tbsp cheese and continue stirring for a further 3 minutes.
- Pour sauce over layered ingredients in dish. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Place dish under grill (broiler) and cook for about 3 minutes or until cheese is bubbling and golden brown. Serve immediately.