Scrambled eggs with chilli
- Butter 45 g (11/2 oz)
- Onion 1, medium-sized, peeled and ﬁnely chopped
- Ginger 5-cm (1-in), peeled and ﬁnely chopped
- Green chilli 1, ﬁnely chopped
- Ground turmeric 1/2 tsp
- Chopped coriander
- leaves (cilantro) 11/2 Tbsp
- Salt 1/2 tsp
- Eggs 8, lightly beaten
- Tomatoes 2, sliced
- White bread 4 slices, toasted
This is a dish prepared by the Parsi community of western India. Serve it on freshly toasted bread for brunch.
- In a medium-sized pan, melt butter over moderate heat. When foam subsides, fry onion and ginger for 5–7 minutes or until onion is soft and translucent but not brown.
- Add chilli, turmeric, coriander leaves and salt. Stir well and cook mixture for 1 minute.
- Pour in beaten eggs, reduce heat to low and cook, stirring constantly, until they are softly scrambled.
- Place a slice of tomato on each slice of toast. Top with scrambled egg mixture and garnish as desired. Serve immediately.
- For alternative presentation, use a pastry cutter to cut desired shapes out of bread before topping with tomato slices and cooked eggs.