Ham and Cheese Soufflé
The right ingredients make this a wonderful soufflé.
- 3 tbsp sweet butter
- 1 chopped shallot
- 2 tbsp. cake flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 4 oz. grated mild cheddar
- 1⁄2 tsp. mustard powder
- 6 eggs, divided into whites and yolks
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 oz. chopped ham
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp. chopped chives
- Melt 2 tablespoon butter in a saucepan.
- Mix in the shallots and stir for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the flour. Add the milk. Keep whisking until smooth.
- Let the mixture simmer for 5 minutes.
- It should be thick by then. Add the cheddar, salt and pepper, and egg yolks.
- Keep stirring for 4 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl and stir in the chives and ham. Cover with plastic and refrigerate for half an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Butter a soufflé dish.
- Beat the eggs whites with a hand mixer until they are stiff. Fold the whites into the cheese mix.
- Pour the batter into the soufflé dish. Bake for 40 minutes.