Eggs with tomatoes and onion
- Olive oil 2 Tbsp
- Onion 1, small, peeled and ﬁnely chopped
- Garlic 1 clove, peeled and crushed
- Tomatoes 6, thinly sliced
- Salt 1/2 tsp
- Dried basil 1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper a dash
- Crusty bread 2 large slices, toasted
- and buttered
- Poached eggs 4
- Grated Parmesan
- cheese 2 Tbsp
This is a simple but very tasty dish. It may be served on its own or with a side dish of steamed corn kernels.
- In a pan, heat oil over moderate heat. Add onion and garlic and fry for 5–7 minutes or until onion are soft and translucent but not brown.
- Add tomatoes, salt, basil and cayenne. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, for a further 5 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat. Spoon tomato-and-onion mixture onto slices of toast. Place 2 poached eggs on top of each slice and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.