Eggs in a savoury nest
- Butter 45 g (11/2 oz)
- Onion 1, medium-sized, peeled and ﬁnely chopped
- Ham 8 slices, cut into squares
- Tomatoes 8, medium-sized, blanched, peeled, seeded and chopped
- Salt 1/2 tsp
- Freshly ground
- black pepper 1/4 tsp Dried sage 1/2 tsp Cooked long-
- grain rice 280 g (10 oz)
- Eggs 8
- Grated Mozzarella
- cheese 85 g (3 oz)
A filling appetiser or light lunch meal, this should be served hot, straight from the oven.
- Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F).
- In a large pan, heat two-thirds of butter over moderate heat. When foam subsides, add onion and ham. Cook, stirring,
- until onion is soft and ham golden brown.
- Add tomatoes, salt, pepper and sage and cook for a further 3 minutes. Stir in rice and remove from heat.
- Grease 8 small ramekins or individual ovenproof dishes with remaining butter. Divide rice mixture evenly among them, then break an egg on top of each and sprinkle cheese over.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until egg is cooked and cheese is lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately.