- Olive oil 4 Tbsp
- Onion 1, medium-sized, peeled and ﬁnely sliced
- Garlic 2 cloves, peeled and crushed
- Lean bacon 230 g (8 oz), sliced Red capsicums
- (bell peppers) 2, small, white pith
- removed, seeded and chopped
- Tomatoes 6, medium-sized, blanched, peeled and ﬁnely sliced
- White button
- mushrooms 115 g (4 oz), wiped and
- ﬁnely sliced
- Salt 1/2 tsp
- Ground black
- pepper 1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper
- A dash Dried parsley 1 Tbsp Canned corn
- kernels 230 g (8 oz), drained
- Eggs 4, large
This is a delicious way of serving eggs, as a first course or as a light snack.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Heat oil over moderate heat and cook onion and garlic, stirring occasionally, for 5–7 minutes or until onion is soft but not brown.
- Add bacon and capsicums and stir-fry for 10–12 minutes or until capsicums are soft.
- Stir in tomatoes, mushrooms, salt, pepper, cayenne and parsley. Continue cooking for 5 minutes or until tomatoes begin to pulp.
- Stir in corn kernels and remove from heat.
- Pour mixture into an ovenproof baking dish. Using the back of a spoon, make 4 small depressions in mixture. Break an egg into each depression.
- Place baking dish in the oven and bake for 25–30 minutes or until eggs are set. Serve hot.