Egg and cream cheese tart
- Plain (all-purpose)
- ﬂour 170 g (51/2 oz) Salt a dash
- Butter 45 g (11/2 oz),
- cut into small cubes
- shortening 45 g (11/2 oz), cut into
- small cubes
- Cold water 1–2 Tbsp
- Cream cheese 250 g (9 oz) Double (heavy)
- cream 125 ml (4 ﬂ oz / 1/2 cup)
- Eggs 6
- Spring onions
- (scallions) 6, ﬁnely chopped Salt 1/2 tsp
- Ground white
- pepper 1/4 tsp
This simple tart is excellent for a family weekend lunch. Makes one 22.5-cm (9-in) tart
- Prepare pastry. Sift ﬂour and salt into a mixing bowl. Add butter and vegetable shortening. Rub fat into ﬂour with your ﬁngertips until mixture resembles ﬁne breadcrumbs.
- Add 1 Tbsp cold water and, using a table knife, mix it into ﬂour mixture. Knead dough until it is smooth. Add more water if dough is too dry. Pat dough into a ball, cover with greaseproof paper and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F).
- Prepare ﬁlling. In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and cream together with a wooden spoon until mixture is smooth. Beat in eggs, spring onions, salt and pepper.
- On a ﬂoured surface, roll out dough into a circle 0.5-cm (1/4-in) thick. Lift dough using rolling pin and lay it over a
- 5-cm (9-in) ﬂan tin. Gently ease dough in and trim edges.
- Spoon cream cheese mixture into pastry case, then bake for 30 minutes or until pastry case is golden brown and ﬁlling is set. Serve hot.