Crunchy chicken and corn fritters
- Plain (all-purpose)
- ﬂour 125 g (41/2 oz) Salt 1/4 tsp
- Eggs 2
- Milk 180 ml (6 ﬂ oz / 3/4 cup)
- Chicken 150 g (5 oz), cut into small cubes
- Corn kernels 175 g (6 oz)
- Green capsicum
- (bell pepper) 1, white pith removed,
- seeded and ﬁnely chopped
- Cooking oil
- for pan-frying
These corn fritters go well with deep-fried chicken, but they make a tasty snack on their own as well.
- Sift ﬂour and salt together into a bowl. Make a well in the centre and add eggs.
- Gradually add milk, drawing ﬂour in from sides of bowl. Mix until a smooth, creamy batter is achieved.
- Stir in chicken, corn kernels and capsicum. Leave to stand for about 30 minutes.
- Take a large pan and add enough oil to cover cooking surface. Heat until smoking, then add 3–4 spoonfuls of batter, depending on size of pan. Fry for about 2 minutes or until golden brown and puﬀy around the edges. Turn over to fry other side.
- Remove fritters and drain on absorbent paper. Repeat with remaining batter until used up. Serve hot.